Monday 27 January 2014

Azure Kingfisher in acrylics

I battled a bit with the background colour.  I started off with a greenish background and didn't like it.  So then I went for a greyish background but when I started painting the bird, it just looked too lifeless.  So then I changed it to more the burnt umber with a bit of burnt sienna and yellow ochre and  suddenly the painting all just seemed to take shape.  Really pleased with the final result. 

These birds are found in Northern and Eastern Australia, Tasmania, lowlands of New Guinea and neighbouring island and out to North Maluka and Romang.  They are a small kingfisher measuring around 17-19 cm's.

Azure Kingfisher measures 8 x 6 inches and is painted on Raymar's Feather Light Smooth Portrait Cotton 1/16"  panel.

Many thanks to James Niland for the reference photo.

Sold

No comments:

Post a Comment